Substitute Teacher Performance Responsibilities
Please Review Before Submitting a Substitute Teaching ApplicationReports To
School PrincipalJob Goal
In the absence of the regular classroom teacher to help students to learn subject matter and/or skills that are required for scheduled lessons and to provide meaningful instruction for assigned classrooms.
NOTE: Complaints made by a school principal about a substitute teacher may result in the removal of the substitute from the Substitute List.
- Reports to school office at beginning of school day to pick up required materials/schedule of classes and at the end of the school day to return materials. Follows sign out procedures as prescribed by the principal.
- Carries out a program of study prescribed in the lesson plans left by the classroom teacher.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and objectives as indicated in the lesson plans for the lessons, units, or projects assigned.
- Employs instructional methods and materials that are most appropriate for meeting lesson objectives.
- Maintains a neat and orderly classroom. Straightens chairs, tables, clears chalkboard, etc.
- Takes attendance in accordance with school procedures.
- Indicates to students at beginning of class the basic expectations for behavior in the class in accordance with school and Buncombe County Schools policies.
- Insures that the students are never left unattended in the classroom.
- May perform duties usually required of absent teacher such as lunchroom duty, hall monitoring, etc.
- Knows emergency evacuation routes for the classrooms assigned.
- Knows procedures for referring students who are disciplinary problems.
- Knows school procedures and regulations.
- Performs other related duties as directed by principal